SQL Server 2017 represents a major step towards making SQL Server a platform that gives you choices of development languages, data types, on-premises or cloud, and operating systems by bringing the power of SQL Server to Linux, Linux-based Docker containers, and Windows. This topic summarizes what is new for specific feature areas and includes links to additional details. Resumable online index rebuild resumes an online index rebuild operation from where it stopped after a failure (such as a failover to a replica or insufficient disk space), or pauses and later resumes an online index rebuild operation.
A new generation of query processing improvements that will adapt optimization strategies to your application workload’s runtime conditions. For this first version of the adaptive query processing feature family, we have three new improvements: batch mode adaptive joins, batch mode memory grant feedback, and interleaved execution for multi-statement table valued functions.
SQL Server 2017 Database Engine
SQL Server 2017 includes many new Database Engine features, enhancements, and performance improvements.
- CLR assemblies can now be added to a whitelist, as a workaround for the
clr strict securityfeature described in CTP 2.0. sp_add_trusted_assembly, sp_drop_trusted_assembly, and sys.trusted_asssemblies are added to support the white list of trusted assemblies (RC1).
- Resumable online index rebuild resumes an online index rebuild operation from where it stopped after a failure (such as a failover to a replica or insufficient disk space), or pauses and later resumes an online index rebuild operation. See ALTER INDEX and Guidelines for online index operations. (CTP 2.0)
- The IDENTITY_CACHE option for ALTER DATABASE SCOPED CONFIGURATION allows you to avoid gaps in the values of identity columns if a server restarts unexpectedly or fails over to a secondary server. See ALTER DATABASE SCOPED CONFIGURATION. (CTP 2.0)
- A new generation of query processing improvements that will adapt optimization strategies to your application workload’s runtime conditions. For this first version of the adaptive query processing feature family, we have three new improvements: batch mode adaptive joins, batch mode memory grant feedback, and interleaved execution for multi-statement table valued functions. See Adaptive query processing in SQL databases.
- Automatic database tuning provides insight into potential query performance problems, recommends solutions, and can automatically fix identified problems. See Automatic tuning. (CTP 2.0)
- New graph database capabilities for modeling many-to-many relationships include new CREATE TABLE syntax for creating node and edge tables, and the keyword MATCH for queries. See Graph Processing with SQL Server 2017. (CTP 2.0)
- An sp_configure option called
clr strict securityis enabled by default to enhance the security of CLR assemblies. See CLR strict security. (CTP 2.0)
- Setup now allows specifying initial tempdb file size up to 256 GB (262,144 MB) per file, with a warning if the file size is set greater than 1GB with IFI not enabled. (CTP 2.0)
- The modified_extent_page_count column in sys.dm_db_file_space_usage tracks differential changes in each database file, enabling smart backup solutions that perform differential backup or full backup based on percentage of changed pages in the database. (CTP 2.0)
- SELECT INTO T-SQL syntax now supports loading a table into a FileGroup other than the user’s default by using the ON keyword. (CTP 2.0)
- Cross database transactions are now supported among all databases that are part of an Always On Availability Group, including databases that are part of same instance.
- New Availability Groups functionality includes clusterless support, Minimum Replica Commit Availability Groups setting, and Windows-Linux cross-OS migrations and testing. (CTP 1.3)
- New dynamic management views:
- sys.dm_db_log_stats exposes summary level attributes and information on transaction log files, helpful for monitoring transaction log health. (CTP 2.1)
- sys.dm_tran_version_store_space_usage tracks version store usage per database, useful for proactively planning tempdb sizing based on the version store usage per database. (CTP 2.0)
- sys.dm_db_log_info exposes VLF information to monitor, alert, and avert potential transaction log issues. (CTP 2.0)
- sys.dm_db_stats_histogram is a new dynamic management view for examining statistics. (CTP 1.3)
- sys.dm_os_host_info provides operating system information for both Windows and Linux. (CTP 1.0)
- The Database Tuning Advisor (DTA) has additional options and improved performance. (CTP 1.2)
- In-memory enhancements include support for computed columns in memory-optimized tables, full support for JSON functions in natively compiled modules, and the CROSS APPLY operator in natively compiled modules. (CTP 1.1)
- New string functions are CONCAT_WS, TRANSLATE, and TRIM, and WITHIN GROUP is now supported for the STRING_AGG function. (CTP 1.1)
- There are new bulk access options (BULK INSERT and OPENROWSET(BULK…) ) for CSV and Azure Blob files. (CTP 1.1)
- Memory-optimized object enhancements include sp_spaceused and elimination of the 8 index limitation for memory-optimized tables, sp_rename for memory-optimized tables and natively compiled T-SQL modules, and CASE and TOP (N) WITH TIES for natively compiled T-SQL modules. Memory-optimized filegroup files can now be stored, backed up and restored on Azure Storage. (CTP 1.0)
- DATABASE SCOPED CREDENTIAL is a new class of securable, supporting CONTROL, ALTER, REFERENCES, TAKE OWNERSHIP, and VIEW DEFINITION permissions. ADMINISTER DATABASE BULK OPERATIONS is now visible in sys.fn_builtin_permissions. (CTP 1.0)
- Database COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL 140 is added. (CTP 1.0).
Who Provides The Best Recommended SQL Server 2017 Hosting ?
Supported by a group of tech-savvy developers, HostForLIFE.eu has excellence in providing high-quality hosting services. Their products cover from SQL Server 2017 web hosting, meeting from simple websites to highly technical requirements. They start with a goal to provide web hosting with a rare combination of unmatched reliability and affordability. The work ethic and integrity that established this company has paid off with many happy customers and industry awards. The secrets behind their popularity will be revealed in this HostForLIFE.eu review.
HostForLIFE.eu will Give You Fantastic Support, 24/7
Are you tired of waiting for slow, unprofessional and unhelpful support? So HostForLIFE.eu hired an army of the very best technicians, managers and web hosting gurus. That means clear, professional support, fast. Their team are standing by to respond to your queries around the clock, big or small, and we’ll be there for you – 24×7, 365 days a year. You can contact them via all standard communication channels – by e-mail, through the ticketing system, or via an online form – should you have any pre-sales questions.
Their engineers have developed a pile of tutorials and guides in the “Knowledge Base”, aiming to give quick solutions for common issues. Those guides and tutorials cover five main areas, including “Getting Started”, “Control Panel”, “Domain”,” FTP” and “Email”. Their Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus pages keep customers on top of all newest releases and product information.
Reliable Account Management Tools
HostForLIFE revolutionized hosting with Plesk Control Panel, a Web-based interface that provides customers with 24×7 access to their server and site configuration tools. Some other hosting providers manually execute configuration requests, which can take days. Plesk completes requests in seconds. It is included free with each hosting account. Renowned for its comprehensive functionality – beyond other hosting control panels – and ease of use, Plesk Control Panel is available only to HostForLIFE’s customers.
99.9% Uptime Guarantee
HostForLIFE.eu offers a highly redundant, carrier-class architecture, designed around the needs of shared hosting customers. The company’s prices for shared and dedicated hosting are competitive; its features and perks are robust; and its stated commitment to outstanding customer service and support is manifest in its bevy of award-winning ancillary services.